Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Want This...

If you know me, you know that I haven't always been a decent cook. It's no lie. While most girls were learning the basics from their moms, grandmas, whomever, I was studying. Dancing. Working at the mall. And dreaming of being a doctor. I didn't have time, to think about silly things. Like how would I feed myself, when I moved from home.

In college, I was horrible! I sporadically ate. Whatever I could find, whenever I'd remember. I wasn't a fan of the cafeteria. I avoided it like the flu. Even fast food, seemed impossibly difficult to get a hold of. So eating, was the most random thing I did. For years.

In med school, I got worse. Honestly, I lived off of hospital food. Jello, sorbet, and graham crackers with PB, became my staple foods. I'm not going to lie. My kitchen, was rarely used. Unless, Patrick was around. He grew up, with an amazing mom. Learning all about things like cooking, cleaning, those sorts of things. His dad also taught him all about mechanics, basic house fixing, etc. Me? Well, I could ace any exam. I knew how to save lives.

But things changed. After we got married, Patrick and I would cook together, at least one night a week. He was slowly teaching me the basics. When I got pregnant, I completely embraced all things domestic. The Food Network, became my "Holy Grail."

I also have my dear and close friend to thank. She is an amazing cook and baker! You should try her yummy creations. In fact, Patrick and I used to hire her. To cook for us, when we entertained. I was still learning. Not quite to "Guest over for dinner," status.

One day we had this long talk. About things like cooking. See, Lola completely self-taught herself how to cook. She comes from a family of amazing cooks. But other than one aunt, no one really taught her. Like most of us, she realized that she needed this basic skill, shortly after leaving home. Much trial and error, watching PBS and Food Network cooking shows, and lots of cookbooks later, Lola is the most amazing cook!

My first cookbook, came from Lola. It was a local cookbook. That I still have. Lots of yummy recipes. Food that Patrick had grown up eating. Lola not only taught me about cooking with methods, not just recipes, but about collecting cookbooks. We'd go to thrift shops looking for old cookbooks. And we'd hunt down our favorite new cookbooks. Yes, my friend taught me a lot about cooking. I'm so grateful! And with that, she sent me a link about this cookbook.


First of all, I really enjoy watching Marcela's show, Mexican Made Easy. Such delicious food! Simple, easy to make, and so delicious! Have you ever watched the show? It's one of my favorite cooking shows. Between, I hear that Marcela is going to be on a bit of a "tour" of sorts. She's scheduled on lots of shows, in the coming weeks. I hope I get to catch her cooking on daytime. I always learn so much from her!

This cookbook is now on the top of my "Must Have" list. When can I go to the bookstore? I really want this one in my collection. And I'm positive, that my family would benefit, from this simple purchase. We're big Mexican food lovers around here. Oh, well is doesn't hurt that we're also Mexicanos.

No comments: