Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thankful

A few weeks ago, I got to spend about a week, with a good friend. Honestly, we've only been friends for about a year now. Sad, but true. At the time we lived about 2 hours away from each other. At one point, we lived a few minutes from one another. But had never met.

Then a year ago, she was in a pretty horrific car accident. Hillary was in labor. Her midwife was driving her to the hospital, and they were hit by a drunk driver. The 2 of them, and Hillary's baby, almost lost their lives. Immediately, our dear friend Lola, was on the phone. Calling Patrick. Was there anything he could do. Would they be OK? Could we be there for Hillary? Lola was going to catch the first flight East, that she could.

That was a year ago. Both Hillary and her baby have had countless surgeries. Both are looking at dozens more. The man that that hit them, is know serving a sentence of 150 years. Hillary's divorce was finalized. She is back in touch, with her younger brother. And a new, and amazing man, has fallen from the sky, into their lives. He is the strength that Hillary needs. The daddy that this beautiful baby deserves.

Yesterday, was a day to celebrate. Celebrate that this beautiful baby girl, is now a year old. Her health is improving. We all hope, that shortly, she will be able to leave the hospital. For the first time in her life. We all hope, that these 2 amazing souls, will be able to live life again.

All of this got me to stop and think. To Thank God for everything I have. For the health and safety of my family and friends. To be grateful for everything that we have. Even the ridiculous pile of laundry. That never seems to disappear. Or the hectic mornings. The sick little boy, who is staying home from school. Or being so far away from our families.


If I woke up tomorrow morning, with only those things that I thanked God for, would the important things be there? All I need is my kids, Patrick, a home, the ability to feed my children, and provide them with all the necessities. The rest, it's just icing on the cake. Something about yesterday, made me stop and think. Think about the way we are living life.

Sure, I'd enjoy a family trip this winter. I have my eye on a new camera. For about 2 years, I've been wanting to redo our bedroom. I've found myself pining, over beautiful plants, for our yard. Which are all so expensive! Of course, I'd like a little extra money, to spend on frivolous things like clothes and makeup. But at the end of the day, those things don't matter.

Not at all. What matters is family, health, and faith. At the end of the day, I couldn't imagine life, without those 3 very important things. Hillary and her story, have taught me so much. It's touched my heart, in ways that I'd never expected. It's made me a more faithful person. And I've grown. If I woke up tomorrow, with only the things that I thanked God for yesterday, I'd still be the happiest woman on Earth!

No comments: