Monday, October 3, 2011

It Scared Us All!

I don't know if I've mentioned this here, but I'm a bit of a makeup lover. This is a love, that happened "later" in my life. My teenage years didn't find me spending hours on my makeup. Heck, I was lucky to manage mascara and lipgloss.

My college years didn't fair much better. I was too busy trying to fill my brain with chemistry and biology. I wanted to get into medical school. Makeup was my last priority. In med school, and later as a resident, I just craved sleep. I was happy to just get a shower.

Something happened though. During my first pregnancy, I found myself shopping. A lot! Something that I had never really done. Between buying crib bedding and onesies, I stumbled into the makeup aisles. Then to the makeup counters.

I was never a woman that liked trendy makeup. Or lots of color. I'm more of a natural woman. Pretty and light shades. Something to add the "Wow," without the "What the heck do you have on your face?" Along the way, I found the "Beauty World." The place, where I'm sure, women must spend their entire paychecks, on new beauty products.

Later, when I started watching YouTube, I was both intrigued, and mortified by these makeup collections. How in the heck? When and how do women collect that much makeup? More importantly, why? But while I was watching those videos, I was learning about new products, and companies.

Before I knew it, I was a fan of MAC. Don't get me wrong, I would never go and by $100s worth of makeup. But I do appreciate a new eyeshadow or lipstick, every few weeks. So one day last week, I found myself at the mall. With my kids. We needed to stop by and pick up a few things. And I thought, why not go by the makeup counter. That's when the good day we were having, went horribly wrong. Because we stumbled upon these pictures...


In an instant, 3 of my kids were gripping my legs. In an almost panic. Ethan calmly told me, "Mom, I think we should go. My sisters and Logan look like they are going to flip out." He was right. For the first time ever, my heart was beating so fast. My palms were sweaty. I was panicking. My kids were about to have an all out "freak out."

We left. I never actually made it to the counter. Instead, we stopped for ice cream. Then a calm trip to Target. For a new toy. My kids deserved that much. We had made it past, all these crazy clown pictures. They were all over the MAC counters. I have to admit this, these pictures are bizarre.

I'm wondering what MAC was thinking. Do they really think, that these clown pictures, are going to sell  more makeup? My small kids were freaked out, just by the mere sign of them. I could just imagine the jokes Patrick could come up with. I'll tell you one thing, I'll be cautious about taking my kids with me next time. That might mean, I have to avoid a few future purchases. But I'm a Mommy first. A makeup lover second. And if some creepy pictures bother my kids, then they bother me too.

No comments: